It’s that time of year: back to school. Except we don’t go to school. The fact that we homeschool does not keep us away from germs, we do leave the house! Audrey started coughing and became congested Friday then on Saturday it had spread to Ava. Next, our friend few doors down was showing the same symptoms. I have been wanting to make homemade ‘Vicks’ for such a long time and this seemed like the perfect time. I began to research a few recipes for homemade vapor rub, or Vicks, and decided to try Wellness Mamas because it sounded simply delicious!
I headed over to the mainland to buy Rosemary essential oil, stopped at the grocery to grab a few things, then back home to whip up a batch of homemade natural vapor rub. This recipe is simple and your home will smell amazing while preparing this vapor rub. I made a double batch so I could share with a friend!
Please note: Many essential oils, including these, are not considered safe for babies or small children. Always check with a doctor or healthcare provider about using herbs or essential oils on young children.
What you need:
- 1/2 cup carrier oil (Coconut Oil, olive oil, etc) *I use Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Beeswax Pellets
- 20 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 20 drops Peppermint Essential Oil (do not use this oil if you are using this for young children)
- 10 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 10 drops Cinnamon Essential Oil
Here is the recipe, please scroll beyond this to see the ‘how-to’ make homemade natural vapor rub images…..
- ½ cup of carrier oil (coconut oil, olive oil, etc..)
- 2 tablespoons of beeswax
- 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- Combine carrier oil and beeswax in a jar then close lid loosely.
- Place jar in a pot of water over medium high heat.
- Occasionally remove jar from heat and swoosh it until beeswax and oil and completely melted and combined.
- Remove from heat and add essential oils.
- Mix again and then pour into prepared containers.
- Allow to set and harden.
- **Make sure to dilute for babies and children and use as little as is needed. Can also make with the herbs instead of essential oils by infusing the oil with 1 tablespoon of each of the herbs in a double boiler over medium heat for 2 hours.
Here is what you need, I left out the cinnamon essential oil in this pic, sorry cinnamon!
Combine your oil and beeswax in a jar then loosely close the lid.
Place your jar containing the oil and beeswax into a pot of water over medium high heat.
Occasionally pick up and swoosh your mixture together then place back in the water.
Once the oil and beeswax are totally melted together remove from the heat.
Add your essential oils then swoosh until combined well.
Voila! You never have to buy Vicks again, you can now make your own homemade natural vapor rub that will soothe you and your loved ones naturally.
If you don’t have the time or desire to make your own vapor rub you can buy a jar over at my Etsy Shop!
To read more of my natural home remedies please click here.
I am grateful to share our life experiences in this space. I want to let you know that this post includes affiliate links, please know that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission (thank you, thank you, thank you). Your support in purchasing through these links helps to create our need for more bookcases! Thank you!
DISCLAIMER: For external use only. Please consult doctor before use if pregnant. Consult pediatrician or healthcare provider before using on infants or young children. Please read ingredients carefully. Although this product is gentle, I do recommend testing a small area on the arm before using to check for skin sensitivity. Please consult physician or healthcare provider with any other questions.
The statements made here have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure or prevent any disease.