My daughter has long hair that seems to tangle very easily. I have been making homemade hair detangler for years using an ACV detangler recipe that works quite well but my daughter was ‘over’ the vinegar smell. After browsing the internet I put together a great recipe that gets the tangles out and smells great!
This detangler recipe’s main ingredient is aloe juice. Aloe Vera Juice is a natural, light conditioner and detangler. It goes on very light but doesn’t weigh her hair down at all.
I read quite a bit on which essential oils would work best in a detangler recipe and here are the ones that I decided to use:
- Lavender Essential Oil oil reduces hair breakage, increases hair growth, and can treat dandruff and prevent excessive oil on the scalp.
- Sweet Orange Essential Oil
Orange essential oil helps to smooth the hair cuticle and untangle hair. Orange oil also helps to prevent split ends.
- Rosemary Essential Oil increases circulation to the scalp and is often used to treat dandruff. Rosemary oil also acts as a preservative in this recipe.
- Aloe Juice
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Orange Essential Oil
- Rosemary Essential Oil
- (I use organic ingredients)
- Pour 4 ounces of aloe juice into a spray bottle.
- Add 25 drops of lavender essential oil
- Add 20 drops of orange essential oil
- Add 10 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Put on the lid and gently shake to thoroughly mix in the essential oils.
- Spray as much as needed into wet or dry hair.
- We use 5 to 10 sprays before brushing tangles out of dry hair.
We use this detanger daily so it typically is gone before 2 months is up. If you don’t use it daily and expect to keep it for 4 months or more you might consider keeping it in the fridge.
If you are using this detangler on a child please be careful not to get it in their eyes as it can burn.